The Honorable Samantha J. Power at Los Angeles World Affairs Council and Town Hall







Ambassador Samantha Power currently teaches at Harvard University. She also served on the Cabinet of President Barack Obama and as an Ambassador to the United Nations. As one of TIME’s “100 Most Influential People,” she began her career as a journalist reporting from areas afflicted by genocide, such as Bosnia, East Timor, Rwanda, and Sudan. Her book, A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide" won the Pulitzer Prize in 2003, and was a book that I read last year to better understand the complicated dynamics at play contributing to the collapse of Yugoslavia.

On September 19, 2019, the Los Angeles World Affairs Council and Town Hall hosted Ambassador Samantha Power. Her discussion covered the role of international institutions, her experience in working as part of the Obama Administration, her view on current issues, and her latest book, The Making of an Idealist. As part of Poly's Global Scholars Program, I had the amazing fortune of being able to hear her speak. I am inspired by her service, dedication, candor, and vision.




Comments

Popular Posts

My photo
Matthew Burke
Hi! My name is Matthew, and I’m a 2020 Global Scholar at the Polytechnic School. I have been studying French at Poly for the past three years. A highlight of attending Poly has been the Global Initiatives Program. Through this program, our family has hosted students from Victor DuRuy and Saint Martin schools in France, as well as from Nirayama HS in Japan; I also have had the opportunity to visit France as part of this exchange program; our group travel blog is: http://polygipfrance.blogspot.com I am part of LaunchX Team Emergence. We are creating an environmentally conscious startup to increase the lifecycle of external power chargers and electrical cords, in an effort to protect our environment from e-waste. We will be heading to MIT on May 4, 2019, to compete as Global Finalists and will be pitching our business to gain funding and support. Follow us @cordrestored and visit us at www.cordrestored.com I hope to share my LaunchX experience as part of my Capstone Project.