RECYLCLING: OVERCOMING A BUNKER MENTALITY


It’s my daily chore to clear my room of dirty plates and cups. If I dump my dishes on my
sister’s bed instead of putting them into the dishwasher, can I tell my mom that I cleaned my
room? What if I just light a bonfire of cups in my room? This is what we are doing in the name
of recycling. We are throwing our trash in our brothers’ and sisters’ spaces and burning down
our home planet. When we toss our bottles in the recycling bin, we assume that we are saving the
environment, but what we do not know is that our bottles may be shipped across the world to be
processed, burned, or tossed in a landfill (Dell; Retamal).

So what happens when I throw away my lunch at Poly? Mr. Yamaoka, Poly’s Manager of
Safety and Sustainability, said that my composted sandwich crust goes directly towards local
gardens. Athens Company hauls away our trash and sends the recycling to the Allan Company’s
material recovery facility. These for-profit companies contract with the city of Pasadena. I spoke
with the General Manager of the Allan Company, Mr. Brett Weigand, who said that half of our
recyclables, mostly cardboard, can be sold or processed within the US. The other half sails on
cargo ships to Asia as processing it overseas is cheaper (Weigand). But what is the true cost?
Plastic and metals are shipped abroad because of the simple power of the dollar. Stricter
environmental regulations in the US make processing more expensive here. But there is a hidden
cost to the earth behind shipping our recyclables abroad. Cargo ships use bunker fuel, black
sludge like La Brea Tar Pits, the dregs of what is left from refining oil, sending 3,500 times more
pollution than oil into the air (BBC). Fifteen of the biggest cargo ships produce more pollution
than all of the cars in the world (The Economist). It’s an inconvenient truth that when we recycle
plastic bottles abroad, we contribute to global warming through sulfur oxide emissions on cargo
ships.

You might think that even if shipping the recycling abroad contributes to global warming,
at least landfills aren’t filled. In fact, the only plastics that can be recycled are plastic resins
labeled “PETE.” This includes most clear plastic beverage containers. One of the ways PETE
plastic is cheaply “recycled” is by burning it as fuel, which is toxic (Garthe). But into the landfill
go bottles of laundry detergent; into the landfill go milk jugs; into the landfill go saran wrap and
grocery bags. They are simply not worth the money to process. Even with PETE plastics, 75%
end up in landfills abroad (Geyer). So we preserve the rivers of America only to defile the rivers
of Asia. Picture bottomless Grand-Canyons of water bottles, teetering Mount Everests of yogurt
cups, flowing Yangtze Rivers of sunscreen tubes. Our environmental preservation here causes
environmental devastation abroad. In fact, the government of China just banned the import of
foreign trash (CalRecycle). As a result, Mr. Weigand, the manager of the Allan Company, told
me they are looking for other countries that will accept American recycling.

So what can I do with this drink that I just bought in the Haaga House? To improve the
odds it’ll be recycled, I can rinse it before I chuck it in the bin because recycling that is
contaminated by waste cannot be sold. That last crust of pizza in the box marks it for the landfill.
So we can think before we buy and sort for true recyclables and wash our plastics or metals clean
of food.

What Poly does with the thousands of bottles we drink a year is like a drop in a rapidly
rising ocean of plastic. Some might say that if 75% of plastics end up in the landfill, nothing we
do here at Poly can have an effect. When I started researching this speech, I thought we needed
to organize protests targeting the government. However, by talking with administrators at Poly
and in Pasadena, I learned that officials want to improve recycling, but the regulations are fast-changing and opaque (Department of Public Works). Mr. Gabriel Silva, the former Pasadena
Environmental Programs Manager, said that the city has no way of knowing what happens to our
recycling when it leaves the US. Pasadena is a recycling leader in California, exceeding the law
that 50% of total waste must be diverted from landfills, but “diverted” may mean bottles sold to
recycling firms here end up in a river in Vietnam. Even after being washed and carefully sorted
into the correct bin, most of our recycling is destined for the dump.

Far from being helpless in the recycling labyrinth, we can use our voices to bring the
truth of what happens to recycling to light. Far from being helpless against the plastic deluge, we
can work with Pasadena to redefine the meaning of the word, “recycle.” We must make every
effort to develop recycling practices based on compassion, and compassion based on knowledge,
and knowledge based on the understanding that we are all brothers and sisters in a global
community. Not only must we keep our own home country clean, but we must also keep our
trash from filling up the homes of our neighbors. Let’s bring Poly and Pasadena together to
repair the recycling system!

Comments

Popular Posts

My photo
Matthew Burke
Hi! My name is Matthew, and I’m a 2020 Global Scholar at the Polytechnic School. I have been studying French at Poly for the past three years. A highlight of attending Poly has been the Global Initiatives Program. Through this program, our family has hosted students from Victor DuRuy and Saint Martin schools in France, as well as from Nirayama HS in Japan; I also have had the opportunity to visit France as part of this exchange program; our group travel blog is: http://polygipfrance.blogspot.com I am part of LaunchX Team Emergence. We are creating an environmentally conscious startup to increase the lifecycle of external power chargers and electrical cords, in an effort to protect our environment from e-waste. We will be heading to MIT on May 4, 2019, to compete as Global Finalists and will be pitching our business to gain funding and support. Follow us @cordrestored and visit us at www.cordrestored.com I hope to share my LaunchX experience as part of my Capstone Project.